Monday, July 6, 2015

Curly Girl Profile: Lisa (3A)

Curl Profile: Lisa (3A)


Lisa is fairly new to the CG lifestyle, but she's embracing it and making some changes that are making a huge difference in the look and health of her hair. It's important to know that even those of us who have been doing the Curly Girl method for years are still learning and CAN learn from others, even newbies! Here's Lisa, in her own words:


How would you describe your curl pattern? 
  

3A

How would you describe your porosity?
    

Turns out it floats so that makes my hair low porosity. Who knew? I'm going to check out some of the other tips about low porosity to see how my hair life can further improve.

 How would you describe the density of your hair?
    

My hair is REALLY thick. I would consider myself to have high density. There's an awful lot of hair on top of my head! Just ask my poor stylist....


Are you following the CG method (no sulfates, silicones, etc.)?

I'm just starting to use CG method. I've recently switched to a co wash and ditched my old shampoo and conditioner routine and am liking the results thus far. 


 If you answered YES to question 4, how long have you been going CG?

I think I started using the co wash about 2-3 weeks ago. I've already noticed a huge difference with the size of my hair and the frizz factor. That's huge for me! My hair is naturally large and I was a big hit in the late 80's and early 90's! 




What product do you use to cleanse or Cowash your hair?

As I Am Coconut CoWash, ($5.99, Giant Eagle, also available at most drugstores)


 What product do you use as a rinse-out conditioner?


At the moment, I'm not using any. I tried a Shea butter treatment (Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair Coconut Curling Cream, $6.19 Sally Beauty Supply) but it was too heavy and thick and left me feeling greasy. I'm content with just using the co wash.


8. If you use a leave-in conditioner, what product do you use?

This treatment is expensive, but worth every penny in my opinion!


9. What styling product(s) do you use?




Describe your wash day regimen:

On wash day (usually every other day), I brush my hair well to remove tangles before hopping in the shower. I just wet my hair thoroughly (which takes a minute because there's a lot of it) and liberally apply As I Am Coconut Co Wash and work it in with my fingers. I let it sit for about 5-7 minutes or so and then dampen it a little and comb it thru again with my fingers before rinsing out completely. While I don't towel dry my hair anymore, I do wrap my hair in a towel just to remove excess water. Next, I work three pumps of Moroccan Oil into my hair and comb it thru to the ends. Next, two pumps of the hydrating cream and again comb it thru, parting my hair and smoothing it out. That's it. I let it air dry on my way to work in the morning and it's usually nice and curly and relatively dry when I get to my office. I'd like to try plopping or look into the microfiber towel but it hasn't happened yet. 


Describe your refresh day regimen:

My curls keep their shape very well so I don't really need to reshape or rejuvenate them. Frizz and excessive volume are my biggest issues so I may dampen my hair a little. Another issue I often have is tangling. I use my fingers to separate my hair, especially underneath. In the winter, I often run a pump of hydrating cream or Moroccan Oil through the ends only as they tend to dry out more in the winter. 


What’s the biggest challenge you face having naturally curly hair?

FRIZZ! Humidity is my enemy and there are some days I feel like I have a giant brillo pad on my head! I often joke on those days that I have the hair of an Amazonian Bush Woman! Because my hair is so thick and so coarse, I have naturally large hair and my daily goal is to tame the beast. 


 What’s the best thing you’ve discovered by going natural?

When I used to straighten my hair, it was a requirement to have a chemical straightener treatment done regularly. I eventually gave it up and embraced the natural hair God gave me!


 Any advice you have for others with similar hair to your own? 

Find a hair stylist that truly understands your hair! My stylist has hair just as thick as mine and she knows the value of thinning and layering. I swear I lose 5 pounds every time I get a hair cut. I often get haircuts to remove volume through layering and thinning shears more so than anything. I've had stylists who were afraid to cut my hair too much and I've had to talk them of the ledge. My hair also grows like a weed. I remind them that I'll never have an issue with balding. Ha ha!!!


Would YOU like to be featured in Jen's Curly Mess? Email jenlennoxmoore@gmail.com and send a picture of yourself with your beautiful curls!





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;