Friday, July 24, 2015

Curly Girl Profile: Lily (2C)

Curly Girl Profile: Lily (2C)


I've known Lily's mom, Erica, since Lily was born. Erica has straight, shiny, gorgeous hair, but her sweet daughter was born with natural curl. She's done such a great job working with Lily's natural texture and I told her she is ordered to keep a flat iron out of this beautiful girl's hands as long as she's able! Here's Lily's story, in her mother's words:

How would you describe Lily's curl pattern?   

I had a really hard time deciding if Lily was a 2B, 2C or 3A. I think when we don’t do anything to it, or, before she cut it,  it’s more wavy (2B), but most of the time and after she chopped it all off and grew it back out, she is between a 2C or 3A.

How would you describe Lily's porosity?  

Low Porosity

How would you describe the density of Lily's hair?
   
High hair density. Wow, this girl has some hair!

Is Lily following the CG method?

We use Shea moisture, Mixed Chicks and Carol’s Daughter, so if all of those are no sulfates, silicones, etc. then YES (they are, by the way!). But we haven’t actively researched or try to do that.


What product do you use to cleanse or Cowash your hair?

Listen, I know this is bad, but Lily uses one of those kids 3-in-1. When she runs out of those, she uses whatever shampoo/conditioner du jour that I’m using. Sometimes Herbal, sometimes Garnier, sometimes Pantene.

Suave Kids 3 in 1, Watermelon

What product do you use as a rinse-out conditioner??

See above

If Lily uses a leave-in conditioner, what products does she use?


Mixed Chicks Leave-in Conditioner 



What styling product(s) does Lily use?

SheaMoisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie


Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk Styling Pudding


Describe Lily's wash day regimen:

We wash. If her hair is really knotty (and it usually is), we dry with a t-shirt and then comb with a VERY wide toothed comb. Or finger comb. She hates brushing and combing so we try to avoid. We’ve tried plopping in the evening, it’s wonderful. Typically, I will put hair product in her hair and scrunch and that’s really it. If I’m not around to monitor, she will just let it air dry with no product. It gets crazy but it’s not too bad.


Describe Lily's refresh day regimen:

HAHAHAHA. A bun or a pony tail.


What’s the biggest challenge you face having a daughter with naturally curly hair?

I would say as a mom with board straight hair, everything is a challenge. I didn’t know I shouldn’t brush, I didn’t know you need certain products, I (still) don’t know how to style the best way, how to keep it detangled, or how to keep it looking good.



What’s the best thing you’ve discovered by going natural?

Lily’s always been natural, I think her hair is really healthy because we don’t fuss with it a lot.



Any advice you have for others with similar hair to Lily's?

Sheesh, I’m the one that needs advice. In general, I advocate for NO HEAT and not washing daily. OH, and it totally matters how you get your hair cut if you have curly hair.

Lily and her gorgeous Mama, Erica.




SHOP THIS ARTICLE:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;