Saturday, January 23, 2016

Winterizing Curls: Tips for Curls that Won't Behave in the Cold



Well, it's winter, and though I don't mind the cold, my curls don't like it at all. Gone are the days of doing the same old regimen, the same products and getting fantastic results. Struggling? You aren't alone. Snow is a beautiful thing, in fact one of my favorite things to do on a cold day is watch the flakes fall. There's something about the silence and the crisp beauty of snow that makes me smile. The bottom line:

Cold Temps Make for THIRSTY Curls.

When the temperature drops, gone is the humidity from summer. Though most curlies have a love/hate relationship with the "H" word, the truth is, we need moisture, and we need it badly. Too much moisture can cause lifeless, sticky, weighed-down curls, but not enough creates a delightful frizz halo that will only grow as the hair is deprived of moisture. Therefore, if you're committed to the curl lifestyle, you will likely need to add moisture to your regimen to keep your curls happy. My recommendation is to add products one at a time to see if you like your results, and if you don't, it's easy to pinpoint WHY. Here are some tips for adding moisture to your winter regimen:

1) Replace your regular rinse-out with a heavy-duty conditioner.

In the summer, I love my DevaCurl One Condition, but in the winter, it just doesn't give me enough moisture. My next go-to is SheaMoisture Curl and Shine conditioner, but sometimes even THAT is not enough. My dried out 2C curls are currently enjoying a boost from SheaMoisture 10 in 1 Renewal System Conditioner, which utilizes Marula Oil and Biotin to add moisture to the hair. It may take some trial and error, so be sure to purchase from places that allow for returns.

SheaMoisture Superfruit Complex 10 in 1 Renewal System Conditioner



2) Add a leave-in conditioner if you aren't using one already.

Personally, I use a leave-in all the time, but I often use a spray-on water-based leave-in, such as Not Your Mother's Knotty to Nice Conditioning Detangler, but in the winter I need a little bit more. Kinky Curly Knot Today utilizes marshmallow root and aloe to give hair a thicker layer of moisture and provides excellent slip.

Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave-In Treatment

3. Layer Styling Products to Give Curls Better Hold.

Usually, I apply a less-is-more approach to my hair styling routine, but in the winter, I need to change things up. If you're only using a gel, add a mousse, or vice versa. I prefer Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee as my base and Tigi Catwalk Strong Hold Mousse on top. It sounds like a lot, but even with BOTH products, my curls can fall flat throughout the day. Take one away and I look like I just rolled out of bed. You may even need to add an "apply to dry hair" styler for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th day hair as well. Depends on your curl pattern. 
 Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee

Tigi Catwalk Strong Hold Mousse


All curls are not created equal. Cold temperatures and lowered dew points create very real and frustrating problems for those with curly hair. Resolve to NOT pick up the flat iron or heat-style to avoid fixing the problem. Rocking year-round natural hair is a beautiful thing. 


8 comments:

Sam Ofiara said...

I was at Target yesterday and saw 2 new shea moisture lines- one for low porosity hair, and one for high porosity hair. I love new lines and think I might have to try the low porosity one...have you tried either?

Sam Ofiara said...

I was at Target yesterday and saw 2 new shea moisture lines- one for low porosity hair, and one for high porosity hair. I love new lines and think I might have to try the low porosity one...have you tried either?

Unknown said...

Last time I went to Target (I went to the one at Easton), almost the ENTIRE Shea Moisture line was wiped clean. I thought maybe they weren't going to carry it anymore! I'm so glad you saw it AND saw that they added new lines. Ulta has an excellent selection of SM products, that's usually where I go, but I first discovered it at Target.

Leigh said...

Thanks so much for this information!! I can often get good definition on the day I wash in winter, but have trouble with second/third day hair. What do you do overnight? What products are you using/how much before bed?

Leigh said...

Thanks so much for this information!! I can often get good definition on the day I wash in winter, but have trouble with second/third day hair. What do you do overnight? What products are you using/how much before bed?

Unknown said...

I have the opposite issue, my wash-day hair looks terrible and subsequent days look fantastic, which leads me to believe whatever I'm washing with isn't giving me enough moisture. I use a sulfate-free shea moisture shampoo once a week, I'm thinking it's too stripping so I'm going to eliminate it completely until the weather gets warmer. For overnight, I pineapple my hair on top of my head to keep curls from getting crushed, then do a quick spritz with water and the hair dryer / diffuser in the morning.

Leigh said...

How funny that we have the opposite problem!! That shows how crazy curls can be :)

Anonymous said...

I received my Xtava Styler about two weeks ago. I love it already so much that I ordered another one for my daughter. flat irons

Post a Comment

 
;