Thursday, March 21, 2019

Curly Girl Rant #1 : Gel Makes My Hair Crunchy! HELP!

One of the biggest deterrents to using gel or coiling custards on curls is the dreaded "crunch" that is produced when hair is dry. Nobody wants their hair to crunch, so they avoid these products altogether. And yet, most of the time, curl creams don't get the job done by themselves. Probably the biggest mind-blower of all when I went from daily flat ironing to natural hair is learning this simple truth.

GELS and COILING CUSTARDS are MEANT to create a "cast" on the hair. That "cast" protects curls as they dry. But, when they are dry.... get this... they are meant to be SCRUNCHED OUT.

Hear me again: When your hair is dry, you are supposed to SCRUNCH your DRY curls and BREAK the gel "cast," leaving you with perfectly soft, defined curls. (I spent YEARS of my life not knowing this. Years.)

Once you know this, your product choices will expand and you are now free to get those perfectly defined curls you've been craving!

Gels are actually amazing for ALL types of curls, even wavy 2A's and B's. Here are some of my personal favs (all silicone-free, by the way!)





I use both of these products with a dime-size amount of curl cream for body and softness with this ratio for each section of my hair (4 sections, 2 front, 2 back):

1 dime-size amount of curl cream
1 quarter-size amount of coiling gel

Scrunch, diffuse and GO! It's time to stop fearing the gel. It is your friend, I promise! And the results are night and day.



Curls on the LEFT: Curl Cream Only. Curls on the RIGHT: Curl Cream/Gel Combo. If you aren't getting the results you want from your current products, try adding a good silicone-free coiling gel and don't forget to diffuse! 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;