Monday, July 22, 2019

Purple Hair Don't Care

My husband and I LOVE the show Ink Master. We were watching the other night and there was a girl on the show with some pretty amazing purple hair. My husband is an amazing hair stylist and colorist, but he's not a fan applying the crazy hair colors. Why? Most clients tend to have unrealistic expectations of a) the expense of doing it right, b) how bold the color will come out and c) how long it will last before fading. He's great at it, but he generally avoids it. However, I'm his wife and I begged, so..... the next morning we were in the salon.

Step 1: Covering regrowth.
This means brushing out my curls. It's not pretty. At all.



Step 2: Adding the purple.
This can only be done after a full application of highlights AND re-drying the hair.



Step 3: Washing, conditioning and making me beautiful!



People ask often how my curls continue to be healthy after all of the color treating I do to my hair. Here are my personal tips:

1) Don't wash more than 3x a week and if you can get that down to 2x, great.
2) Avoid sulfates at all costs as they absolutely strip the hair and dry it out. Co-washing is great but a low-poo works best for me in the summer months.
3) Deep condition or use an oil treatment (like Darshana) once every couple of weeks.

I absolutely LOVE my new color. Bold colors are definitely making a comeback and I look forward to seeing how long I can keep my purple this bright. However, if you manage to get a stylist who can fade your color in with this kind of perfection, tip them well because it ain't easy. Also, be prepared to sit in a chair for about 3 hours, because that's how long it takes. Lastly, know that touch-ups will need to be more frequent even IF you take all the necessary precautions to make it stay. Nature of the beast.

Stay curly, girls! Natural is beautiful.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;