Monday, May 28, 2018

4 Summer Curly Girl Tips

Hello, Curly Girls!




Technically, it's still Spring, but the temperature in my car today registered a whopping 103 degrees! Changes in weather and humidity can wreak havoc on your curl routine. Products that worked in the fall and winter months can cause your curls to fall flat or frizz in the heat. Here are some tips that have helped me beat the heat:

1) Less is More.

In the winter, I need more products and more moisture. As temperatures rise, simplify your routine. Stick to a Co-wash, leave-in conditioner and if you can get by with one styling product, do it. Even natural products and weigh hair down or flatten curls in high humidity. My 3-product summer routine?

Step 1: Co-Wash with As I Am Coconut Co-Wash

Step 2: Rinse Co-Was and comb As I Am Leave-In Conditioner through hair with fingers.



Step 3: Style with Kinky Curly Curling Custard and dry with diffuser.


2) Sweaty? Try A Scalp Scrub!

Whether or not you spend a lot of time outside, we sweat more in the summer. Remember that curls need moisture, and even co-washing can strip it if done daily. A scalp wash is a quick way to feel refreshed without wrecking your curls and stripping them of moisture. Simply pull your hair into a high ponytail or put on a shower cap, then use a small amount of co-wash or sulfate-free shampoo and scrub ONLY your scalp, then rinse. I use this on gym days year round and it keeps the length of my hair looking fantastic. 



3) Refresh Daily.

Every morning, it's good to spray your curls down with some curl refresher spray. There are many you can purchase, but I prefer to make my own using essential oils. Simply add some tap water to a GLASS spray bottle (you shouldn't use plastic if using real essential oils) and add about 15 drops of lavender oil. Spraying your hair down with this mix and then using a diffuser will give new life to curls without damage AND make them smell fantastic! You can also reapply a small amount of product for hold if you'd like.





4) Protect Your Pony.

Warm weather means pulling hair up in a ponytail or bun. Do not underestimate the damage ponytail holders can cause to curls. One of my all-time favorite products right now are spiral ponytail holders. They don't look like much, but the coil shape allows hair to be held in place without pulling on the scalp or crushing curls. Since I started using these, I no longer use conventional ponytail holders. They are amazing!




When it comes to Summer, there are plenty of ways to love your curls! Many of us get frustrated and do a big CHOP, but you don't have to. These simple tips will allow your to get through these crazy humid months and still have people asking "How do you get your hair to look so great in this heat?" 

In fact, I just had someone ask me today. :)


SHOP THIS ARTICLE:




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;