Friday, June 26, 2015

Humectants and my NEW HOLY GRAIL!

Hello, Curly Peeps!

I come to you today with a NEW product recommendation that I can't wait to share. 

My favorite gel, Kinky Curly Curling Custard, has been a staple since day 1, but I have been noticing lately that in high humidity, my curls are going limp. Upon digging deeper, I found that part of the reason for this is that KCCC contains humectants, which are great in less humid climates, but not so great in others. Why? Humectants absorb moisture and keep a moisture balance in the hair and skin. Sounds like a good thing, right? And it is... HOWEVER, in areas where moisture and humidity are very high, combined with the heat of summer, humectants can overdo their job by absorbing so much moisture that hair can become puffy and frizzy.

According to NaturallyCurly.com's website, the best gels for high humidity climates will be low in humectants while still being strong in hold.
Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee

I decided to give this a try and I saw a marked difference in my hair after being outside. This gel is very thick and a little bit goes a LONG way, so I used a lot less than I normally do and got an excellent result.

This is my hair on day 1 after washing, plopping (with a net) and sitting under my hooded dryer for 20 minutes.


Notice the stiff, wettish look of the gel cast. For those who try creams over gels to avoid this, you may want to switch to gel. The "cast" formed by gels upon drying actually protects your curls and lets them dry fully protected within the cast. Once hair is dry, scrunch the gel cast off and your curls will be soft and perfectly formed.

Of course, the TRUE TEST of a good gel isn't day 1 but day 2 and beyond (I usually don't go more than 2 days without washing) so...

This is my hair on DAY 2 with only a water spritz-down in the morning and 10 minutes under the dryer.

I live in Ohio, and it has been SUPER rainy and SUPER humid all week. I was satisfied with my KCCC results, but I am 100% SOLD on Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee for the rest of the summer. 

According to the reviews, this gel works just as well for fine curly girls as it does for those with dense texture. Don't let the price tag scare you, you will use significantly less of this product than anything you're using currently, and your results will last for days. I have yet to be as impressed with a styling product on my hair as I have been with this one.

That being said, I'm a firm believer in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it," school of thought, so if what you're using is working, keep using it! However, if your hair is falling flat or limp in some high humidity environments, it may not be your regimen, but your humectant component that's the problem. You can tweak one thing and keep everything else the same, and it may make all the difference.

Hello, my name is Jen, and I am a product junkie. I hope you enjoy my latest fix!


SHOP THIS ARTICLE: 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;